Wednesday, April 27, 2005

What I read

First, so my ignorance of the world of blogging is going to show here. I'm not really sure what a meme is, but I've got a reasonable idea from looking at Krista's response and Anmiryam's blog. So, please forgive me if I don't structure something just right or violate some critical meme rule.

Second, I was almost done with my response, when I lost most of my post, which really ticked me off. I hate re-writing stuff, so the rest of my responses will be extremely short in comparison to my original answers. Sorry :-(

I am an avid reader and usually can't go to sleep at night without reading for at least a few minutes. I love a good novel, but recently have settled for some rather poor excuses for books simply to keep reading. I usually rely on recommendations, but otherwise I loot the rejected pile of paperbacks in my lunchroom at work.

1. Total Number of Books in Your House: ~250. That doesn't sound like very many and its not, but there is a good reason for it. Most of the books I read, I pass along to others. I rarely keep books once I have read them. So, what comprises our collection? Well, its a hodge podge mix of special interest books. My husband is the only one I know who can actually read a computer book. He has taken this activity one step further and started reading books about the game of pool. He is a pool player pretty much full time right now and reads a lot of books about strategy and getting a mind for the game. I on the other hand am addicted to cook books, but also round out my collection with business texts (I recently completed business school) and an odd collection of paper back "trash" novels. In junior high I was a huge Stephen King fan, so I still have half a dozen or so that I never read. I am slowing working through those and mix them with my constantly rotating book supply.

2. The Last Book You Bought Was: Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald. This was recommended to me by a friend of mine several years ago, but I only recently got around to buying it. I loved this book and recommend it to everyone who reads. Its about a family at the turn of the century. What’s interesting is that the main character changes throughout the book as the family changes and ages.

3. What Was The Last Book You Read Before Reading This: I am currently reading a book that was recommended by my other sister-in-law who is getting an MFA in creative writing. It’s called To the Wedding by John Berger. The writing style is a little unusual, but it has grown on me and so far I am liking it fairly well.

4. Write down 5 (or 6) books you often read, or that mean a lot to you. 1) Anne of Green Gables. I adored this book as a kid and ended up reading almost the entire series. 2) The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I still have the original copy my mom used to read to me. 3) The Fountainhead. Recommended to my by the same friend who suggested Fall on Your Knees. I appreciate almost any book or movie whose main character is living the way he feels is right, not the way that is customary or expected. 4) On the “trash” side of things I like anything by James Patterson, John Grisham, and Patricia Cornwell. 5) Absolute Bob by Elmore Leonard. This is one of my favorites by Elmore Leonard, but all of them have been good. He is one of the only writers whose main characters are “real” people. There are no good guys or bad guys – just wonderfully flawed individuals who make mistakes and feel.

5. Who are you going to pass the stick to (three people) and why?
No one. I don’t do chain letters.

2 comments:

The Stitchin' Sheep said...

So, the buck stops here, huh? That's okay with me. At least now I know what you read. Interesting selection.

Nasus said...

I didn't know that a couple of your fave books are The Giving Tree and The Fountainhead (me too!) Actually the latter turned me from a liberal Democrat in high school to my present-day conservative self (imagine that…)