Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

At my office we have this thing called the Office 15. Pretty much anyone who starts here puts on about 15 pounds within the first year. The reason being is that we are regularly provided with various gifts from clients as well as goodies from people's trips and vacations abroad. There's almost always some sort of food in the breakroom that is about 1000 calories. This week, we had 3 people returning from Hawaii, so there have been chocolate covered Macadamia nuts each day - ugh.

I managed not to put on my 15 pounds for 3 years. I thought I was immune to the curse, but not so, especially as I crept toward 30. The loss of my waist almost entirely got me back to the gym where I have discovered the beauty of the spin class (and pilates about a month ago). I have also restricted my enjoyment of the goodies. I still take them - I mean enjoy life, right? - but only one, not 5. My weight didn't change for quite a long time because although I did start trimming down and loosing some fat, I was gaining muscle that I hadn't really ever had before (I didn't come from an athletic family, so physical activity is not second nature to me). So, its taken me about a year, but I am now down 10 of my 15 pounds. (Yippy!)

The problem is this: I no longer fit into the larger sized pants I had to buy - I had literally outgrown everything in my closet but about 4 outfits and you could tell they were the "fat" clothes. But, I still don't fit into my old pants either! I am literally in between sizes. So, I have been wearing my big pants, cinched way in with my belt - this is very attractive BTW, especially since they are cut to sit just at your hip, which mine don't anymore. Fortunately, with it being summer and the fact that my larger sized skirts are more forgiving, I should be ok for a while. But, I have no idea what I am going to do come winter, because I think it would be highly unrealistic to think that I would be able to get back into the old pants in the next few months - especially taking into account my 3 week vacation that's coming up. I know I shouldn't complain, but the pant thing is really pissing me off.

5 comments:

Nasus said...

The fluctuating pant size will always be a problem for me. I'm currently experiencing it thanks to my three week vacation...

Disentangled said...

I have thought about the tailor option, but somehow, I feel that would jinx me into gaining back the weight.

Mercedes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mercedes said...

I deleted the previous post because I had some typos and couldn't figure out how to correct them after I had posted it. Sorry.

Congrats! That is great news. It's really hard to get rid of the extra pounds, especially around this office. I think that you should just get rid of the pants as you begin to purchase new pants. Get a new black pair, get rid of the old black pair. It will give you the incentive that you need to keep yourself in shape. If you don't have the larger pants to fit into, then you must keep slim to wear the new ones. Great job! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I hate being between sizes. I gained a lot of weight very suddenly in the past year. Now I'm working it off (augh! get it OFF me!) very slowly. I'm not buying any more fat clothes, dangit!