Monday, January 23, 2006

yarn swift = pure joy

There was a lovely quaintness about winding skeins into balls of yarn using...well, whatever kind of contraption and/or body parts that you have available at the time. I felt as if I was really doing it the down-home way. Kind of like how I prefer to mix certain kinds of cookie dough by hand instead of using an electric mixer. There's just something nice and simple about it. . .I have since discovered that mixing by hand really does suck sometimes- depending on the kind of dough or batter you are dealing with and when you're baking in large quantities- I've found that a good, sturdy KitchenAid mixer really is a godsend.

Similarly, I have happily surrendered to my new toys- a brand spanking new ball winder (my birthday present from my girls Dis and Nasus) and swift (my birthday present to myself). I honestly don't know why it took me so long to get one of these setups! This is the best thing ever! Using it for the first time was pure comedy, but I actually managed to get it working (right) on the first try, so that was extremely exciting. I almost wished someone else was around to share in my joy...although I'm almost positive that B wouldn't have been nearly as stoked as I was...

Anyway, I just had to share my joy. Isn't this the prettiest yarn cake you've ever seen? ;)

2 comments:

Chris said...

Ooooooh, aaaaaaah! It's gorgeous! Great gifts indeed.

Just don't go winding Euroflax or ribbon at high speed is all I can say. Trust me on that one.

Mouse said...

The first time I saw a swift and ball winder used at my LYS I thought it was the coolest thing ever.. Eventually I'm going to have to get myself one too. Great looking yarn cake... it must be Key Lime (har-har)