Sunday, June 04, 2006

The London I Failed to Share

Ritblat Gallery, located in the British Library...the parks...Hadley's, the seven-story toy store...watching a West-End show (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)...delicious Turkish food...and all of the usual London touristy spots. But I did fail to mention that incarcerated, delinquent tax-payers and prostitutes would have never imagined that centuries later, an American coffee shop would be established in the pub district within a few yards from their prison (did I mention how I should've bought Starbucks stock a few years ago?)

Australians are referred to as "antipodeans" and Foster's beer always seems to be on sale at the grocery store. The ING savings account rate of 4.5% was higher than what is currently available in the US. E and I freaked out when we turned on the TV in our hotel room one morning and saw a video of a person sleeping in what we thought was a bed in our hotel (we later concluded that it was part of the regular programming for the "Big Brother" channel.) We watched a music video station and discovered that Michelle Branch went country. And speaking of music, I fell in love with Corinne Bailey Rae's video for "Put Your Records On" (she reminds me of a youthful, jazzier india.arie.) It was one of those suspended-in-surreal-happiness moments for me.

Surprisingly, tap water tasted good. One of my favorite yogurt is the "Summer Biopot." Patesserie Valerie served very delicious cakes. There are comfy faux leather chairs in McDonalds. "Spicy" shepard's pie is basically chili with mashed potatoes and melted cheese floating on top (yum!) I enjoyed watching a TV show called "Beat the Boss" (a team of three kids competes against a a team of adult professionals in designing and creating a product.) Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne are judges on the "X-Factor," a singing competition between celebrities (ranging from actors/models to rugby players) selected and mentored by the judges. Each celebrity appears on behalf of and raises money for their charity of choice. Really, we didn't stay in our hotel room and just watch TV, although it appears that way.

5 comments:

Disentangled said...

I'm glad you had such a great time, but I extra glad you are back! :-)

Mouse said...

I keep hoping for the day that we get a "real" British tv channel on the satelite. BBC America is ok, but I'd be really into some different types of broadcasting available in England. Those shows as well as the food sound AWESOME.. I hope to visit London eventually!

Chris said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Someday I'll get there....

Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a lot of fun!!! Thanks for sharing : D

Anonymous said...

You're trip sounds very very impressive... I think you should try and tell it in a british accent while knitting and eating crumpets. Just so we get the full effect... >)