Thursday, August 03, 2006

Silk, Linen and Pearls

Relationships are a funny thing. The longer they last, the more the little things become the big things. It's hard to avoid everyday life and the things that you do day after day, simply so that you can keep living day after day. Everyone knows the whirlwind of an early romance, the butterflies in your tummy, the excitement you feel just to see the other person. And the reward for things going well is that soon you have to do things like unplug the stopped up patio gutter in a rain storm so your living room doesn't flood or contemplate what kind of long term planning you need to do so that you can afford to live the mind boggling number of years you will likely have ahead of you.

But it is in these things that love doesn't have to become burried. Running back into the house sopping wet after successfully unclogging that gutter reminds you of that amazing trip to that Australian island when you got rained on walking home. And planning easily turns to dreaming of the future. It becomes about finding those moments where you least expect them.

B and I have been together for almost 12 years and today marks our 9th anniversary. And it is the little things that I cherish, that make me smile when no one is around, and to take comfort in the companion that I have found.

For example, B is a pool player. His briefcase is his cue case. It goes with him everyday.

Which is why, this makes me so happy everytime I see his case.

When I got those buttons made, he asked if he could have one. I couldn't imagine why he wanted one, but when I saw what he did with it, I smiled. I still smile everytime I see it. And in those moments, I think of him and what he means to me. And I realize that no fancy trip, no gourmet meal, and no bouquet of roses could ever replace those simple little things.

10 comments:

Nasus said...

Your post made me misty :) Happy anniversary!

knitzalot said...

Happy Anniversary! See you tonight? Or will you be celebrating?

Anonymous said...

that's the cutest thing ever! happy anniversary!

Jennifer said...

Happy anniversary!

Carrie K said...

That's so cute! (the pin).

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

She is celebrating.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Thank you and Happy Anniversary!

Theresa said...

Happy Happy Anniversary - that is no little thing right there!

The Stitchin' Sheep said...

I was out of town and didn't even get a chance to think about your anniversary (bad sister!) since I spent the day dealing with sick children. I hope you had a bit more fun than I did, anyway.

And, congratulations to both of you on having found someone who really complements your personality well - I've always thought so, and nine years of marriage is certainly something to show for it.