Sunday, August 05, 2007

The countdown begins...

In less than 2 weeks, Nonnahs and I are going to have our lives back. We can hardly wait!!! However, working so much does have some positive side effects. I rarely have time to go to any stores, so unless I order something online (which although I admit I do that a bit), my stash has a whole new meaning.

For instance, this dress (which I love but would never have the courage to wear without a wrap or something) is getting a little something to make the outfit complete.

I've been contemplating wraps and shrugs, but had trouble keeping the options in focus while looking though my knitting magazines and books. Here's where Ravelry rocks! I just did a search for "shrug" looked through the pattern options, queued by favorites...and ended up picking out the Anthropologie-inspired capelet to work up in some chocolate Kona Bay Cotton I had in my stash. I'm so excited. I re-worked the gauge this morning (which was basically one calculation) and off I went...

I also thought I would finally take a couple progress photos. First, I made it to the first chart on my Seraphim. (See the little eyelet below.)

Seraphim has taken over as my office knitting. I can keep everything in a little zippered bag and the stockinette is just what I need during such busy days. And the Koigu! Well, it makes me a very happy Dis.

I also made it to the body portion of Fifi, my current evening project.

I'm worried about Fifi. It was so hard to tell if I've got the sizing right when I tried it on. It's so stretchy that I'm just not sure if I'm pulling and tugging too much or just enough. I'll give it another few rounds then I'll try it on again to make sure the armholes and chest will be ok. I understand their is negative ease, but I also don't want to look like I'm wearing my Speedo swimsuit. I'm also worried about my neck. I was at the park when I cast-on...and didn't have access to anything that explained a cable cast-on. So, I did a knitted cast-on and I'm rolling like a tater tot. I'm hoping blocking will help but I can't escape the knitting doubts that the whole thing will be messed up by a poorly chosen cast-on.

All right, enough about that, it's time for some wine, cheese, a movie and the rest of our laundry. Also, thank you for your wonderful anniversary wishes! It meant a lot...especially since I didn't see B until 9:30 that night! But we did go out for dinner and a movie last night (we finally saw Harry Potter in IMAX 3-D) and I'm hoping to have a new capelet to wear over my new dress for our "real" dinner celebration in a couple weeks. So, that's all for now, I hope you all have a great week!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny- I first came across that Anthropologie-inspired capelet on Ravelry, too! As for Fifi, she looks like she's coming along quite nicely! Are you having fun knitting that, or what? :)

mle said...

oooh, I love that capulet...I'm sure it will be fabulous with that dress!
I'm really glad that your light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter! definitely something to look forward to.

Theresa said...

That wrap looks great. And I love Fifi, but I'm having the same kinds of neckline/sizing doubts with my Green Gable. I'm so not used to making things top-down raglans, and the neckline is curling something mighty.

Are we game for restarting knitting night in the fall? My husband's going away for 6 months, and I have a feeling my knitting is going to pick up . . .

Anonymous said...

Can you let us know what yarn you are using for the capelet - it looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I did the cabled cast on and still had rolling neckline issues so I single crocheted my neckline and when you look at it you can't see the single crochet. I am thinking about making this one again with adjustments.

Unknown said...

so jealous of you ravelry people!
Your Fifi is great so far... I'm loving the color ;)

Octopus Knits said...

I love the colors of your dress, and the capelet should be beautiful with it. Seraphim is lovely, and Fifi looks good so far (I hope it does fit you well).

Anonymous said...

Your fifi looks very nice. I'm knitting that too and also am concerned about size. I did the cable cast on and it is also rolling a bit. My friend suggested a pick up, bind off and said that looks really nice and will stop the rolling. My gauge is also smaller. Wish you well.