Monday, May 05, 2008

FO: Diana's Shawl

I don't know about you, but every once in a while I just really have no idea how a project will turn out. I do my best to plan wisely in order to best anticipate the outcome, so I usually know what you're gonna get, but sometimes you just don't know. That's how this shawl was for me. I substituted yarn and really wasn't sure how it would work with this pattern. Bulky lace. I mean, I had never attempted this before, nor had I used anything like fleece. Suffice it to say, there were a lot of question marks, and I almost scrapped the project at least a few occasions. But I decided to keep going, hoping it would be good in the end, and I'm so glad I did. Diana's Shawl is finished.

Pattern: Leafy Lace Shawl from Natural Knits for Babies and Moms by Louisa Harding
Yarn: Knit One Crochet Too Fleece in 261 (Mulberry) - 3 skeins
Needles: US 13

Yup, I think this will make a mighty fine nursing shawl. (Kudos to Dis for the idea!) The recipient is a first-time mom and a good friend, who also happens to be one of our bosses. I will also be knitting something for the baby, but thought it would be nice to make something special for mom, too. I think she will appreciate the smushy-soft, comfy-cozy nature of this shawl.

It was okay as is, but I wanted to straighten things out a bit and bring out the lace details a little more. I wasn't sure how this yarn would take to a bath, so I did a test and it worked well, so I dunked the whole thing. Granted, it tends to smush back up when hung (stretched out) like this, but when it's flat or on a body, it stretches out nicely width-wise, resulting in a nice drape. All in all, a success, I'd say. I do hope she likes it!

On a totally unrelated, shamelessly dating myself note, I feel compelled to share how I was able to fulfill the dream of the 13 year old me, when I was FINALLY able to see Duran Duran in concert Sunday night. O!M!G! 25 years late and past the hysteria of an innocent teenager's obsession, but still, better late than never! I must say, the guys still looked good, sounded good, and put on a great show. They really seemed like they were having fun too, still, after all these years, which was nice to see. During the 2+ hours on stage, they played a lot of songs from their latest CD, but sprinkled enough of the classics in there to please the old fans. ('Old' can be interpreted in a couple different ways here.) My sis LA and I had so much fun, reliving our teenhood, singing along with all the other thirtysomethings and beyond at the Nokia Theatre. I was actually amazed at how I still remember the lyrics to some of those songs...not to mention, how truly strange some of those lyrics are. It was the best time. The only thing that could have made it better was if Dee could have been there with us- even though she was definitely there in spirit! Excuse me now, while I travel back in time 25 years. Good times... "Only came outside to watch the night fall with the rain..."

14 comments:

Mouse said...

wow.. that's a really beautiful shawl! I'm working my way up to lace knitting a little at a time. Also.. congrats on getting to see Duran Duran.. I do like too.

Marnie said...

That's just gorgeous. The recipient is going to love it, I'm sure.

Madge said...

I'm glad you trusted yourself and kept knitting, too. 'Coz your wrap is a gorgeous new mommy present!

Duran Duran. *giggle*

jillian said...

It's beautiful! Such a wonderful and unique combination of yarn and pattern.

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

Gorgeous! I know she'll love it. I'm also a Duran Duran junkie from my younger years, so I feel you!

margaux said...

so pretty! i love it!

her name is Nonnahs and she knitting on the sand! ;-)

mle said...

The shawl is just gorgeous! I'm sure the new mama will love it!

Disentangled said...

Yay! The photos capture it beautifully :-) I know she will love it!

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow that really is stunning! What a great gift! :)

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful!!

f. pea said...

OMG Duran Duran!!!! Did they do Reflex??? Nice shawl, by the way.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous shawl! Love that plummy color. My husband would be so jealous of your Duran Duran concert. Glad you had a great time!

Jennifer said...

Is it wrong to squee like a teen girl to hear that you got to see Duran Duran in concert! So darn cool.

I love the shawl! I've been trying to think of a good nursing shawl to knit for a friend of mine as well. I'm going to look that pattern up.

Anonymous said...

Duran Duran! That had me giggling for a minute because I have iTunes on and guess what's playing!!! I am so jealous!!!

Lovely, lovely shawl. Lovely, lovely pattern!

-MJ