Tuesday, June 16, 2009

FO: November Ruffle Wrap

First off, I apologize in advance for this NOT being the post from Nonnahs that you've been waiting for. But do please continue to send her your 'baby-get-a-move-on-it' thoughts! She needs them!

As for me, I have a little FO to share my November Ruffle Wrap (Ravelry link) by Kate Jackson. I started this at the tail end of my own pregnancy and finished it up over the weekend. This was one of those knits that I really wanted to own...but didn't particularly want to knit. But then I realized I would need something super easy on the needles with a newborn around the house, if I was ever going to knit again. As soon as I was off bedrest I made a trip to one of our local yarn shops to find some wool to go with the Alpaca With a Twist Baby Twist I had in my stash from my tragically demised attempt at Coraline. (I thought I had a moth issue when my Coraline WIP came up with some serious holes, but turns out it was carpet beatles! Seriously, people - who knew!?!)

November Ruffle Wrap

Despite the meager selection of wools at this yarn shop (that was previously known for its over abundant wool offerings, I might add), I ended up finding a perfect shade of Malabrigo. I wanted to maintain the brown/charcoal combination of the original so that it would have a nice wrap to keep at the office and would thus go with everything. I ended up picked out Malabrigo in Black Forest due to its nice warmth, which made it easy to pair with my Baby Twist in Rose Gray. All in all it took nearly 3 hanks of Malabrigo and about 650 yards of my Baby Twist.

November Ruffle Wrap

The pattern was very simple and well written. My only modifications being to up the needle sizes to 10.5s and 11s to compensate for Malabrigo's lack of drape. I also added one more stitch to the ruffle so that the front side began and ended with a knit stitch (pet peeve). Other than that, it was crazy simple and super easy knitting...and yes, it was ideal for life with a new baby...and the hours I spend every week pumping at the office!

November Ruffle Wrap

I'm super excited to have it done and it feels so amazing against my skin. Both yarns are butter soft and very luxurious. I'm actually kind of excited to be cold at the office again!

12 comments:

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

It looks awesome - I want one, too! With a baby and then a toddler around the house those stockinette projects begin to seem much more interesting!

mames said...

I saw the blog in my sidebar and got a little heart flutter. gotta send 'baby come out' vibes now...do they have a CD for that? the ruffle wrap is lovely. (and i will send a pdf of the pattern...right now as i am thinking about it :)

Mouse said...

Gorgeous! I'll keep sending speedy labor thoughts to Ms. Nonnahs.

jillian said...

It's gorgeous! So glad you found a perfect project to get back in the knitting groove after arrival of your wee one.

Speaking of, come on bean, everyone's eager to meet you!

Theresa said...

Looks like the perfect project, and looks great on you.

Kara said...

Oh it is so lovely. It really has a nice drape to it.

BTW-you asked me how many yards my pajama capris used on my blog...it was less than 2 yards.

tiennie said...

I really like this! It's so lovely and warm looking!

mle said...

Beautiful! so classy!

Anonymous said...

absolutely love your wrap! Beautiful depth of color and it looks very, very cozy.
Carpet beetles? Really? I have all my fiber in plastic totes or zippered plastic bags (like the ones comforters come in) because we live in a old house and I'm petrified of critters eating my yarn!

Tami said...

Your wrap turned out great.
Nice Job!

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

That wrap is gorgeous and I bet it feels scrumptious on your skin.

Stella said...

great job! im actually just started this myself - and loved your version from ravelry. i also - just had a baby ;-)

am knitting it in Louets chunky linen and some new rowan alpaca blend. so far so good.