Tuesday, August 18, 2009

FO: Peacock and Cowl Swap

As I mentioned in my last post my knitty gals and I participated in the most wonderful secret pal cowl swap recently, with the big exchange taking place this past weekend. Kat was my cowl pal. She is a wonderfully warm, funny, and talented woman who is beautiful inside and out, and I was honored to knit a cowl for her.

I have to admit I was initially a bit intimidated to knit for Kat. After all, I needed to knit something worthy of this amazing woman! I had originally wanted to design a cowl for her, but seeing as I wouldn't even be starting this until the latter part of my pregnancy, I soon realized that designing something was not going to be in the cards this time around. So then I embarked on a hunt for just the right pattern. I knew I wanted to knit something lightweight, delicate, and pretty. I came across this pattern on Ravelry and was immediately drawn to the stitch pattern and, considering the new phase in my life that I was about to enter, the name. ;) From there, I decided on the type of yarn and the color, and everything fell into place. I'm really happy with the end result.

(Note: The true color of the yarn is a deep peacock blue)

Peacock

Pattern: Good Luck Cowl by Christianne Gerstner
Yarn: Koigu KPM (100% merino wool) in 1050 (Peacock) - 1 skein
Needles: US5
Knit for: Kat

I found the pattern enjoyable and I found it especially fun to knit for a friend...and an inspiring friend at that. I am in awe of Kat's talent and creativity - and not just as it applies to knitting, because everything she makes is inventive and lovely - I adore her paintings, and am in love with her crocheted pins and jewelry as well. (Even her design sketches are beautiful!) I thoroughly enjoyed knitting this cowl with Kat in mind, and I'm tickled that she likes it, too!

As for my cowl, MJ made mine, and it is perfection! The stitch pattern is both lacy and cabley (could there be a better combination?), the fiber is fabulous, and the color is amazing!

I have been completely spoiled by MJ! If you'll recall, not only did she knit this gorgeous cowl for me, she also made that amazing quilt and booties for Bean! I don't know what I did to deserve all this, but I do know that I love and appreciate it all. I heart that girl...and I heart my cowl!

This swap was the first one we've done, and it was a big success! Thanks, Julia, for organizing! We all enjoyed the process of choosing a pattern for our special pals, and we all ended up loving the cowls we knit, as well as the cowls that were knit for us. I guess that's the fun of doing a swap between friends. It's also fun because when you swap, you also have an excuse to hang out!

Gathering at Julia's over a big table of food, drink, and chit-chat is one of my favorite pastimes. Mary-Heather was even able to join us (with her cowl) via Skype! It was so great to have her *there* with us again, just like old times. :)

Yay, technology! We all loved being able to see and chat with MH again...Felix especially. :)

Thanks again, ladies- for supplying the impetus for a really fun and gratifying knitting project, and for some much needed dedicated girl time. I heart you all! *mwah*

5 comments:

jillian said...

Awww yeah, good times.

MJ said...

The color on Kat's cowl is amazing. You picked the right one for her, all right.

So happy you loved the cowl!

kat said...

aw well, this kat is purring!

mames said...

two posts in one week? go girl go. bet you missed a shower because if it. ;)

Anonymous said...

beautiful cowls! Love the beautiful blue one that you knit, and the great color and texture of the one you received! Sounds like a great time too. :)