Saturday, October 08, 2005

After Glow

All I can say is that there is nothing like a good deal to make you feel less bad about spending a good chunk of money. Given that, I am still aglow with my latest yarn purchase. As you may remember, a certain Weekend Getaway Satchel from Interweave Knits caught my eye when their latest issue first came out. As soon as I saw it, I wanted to make it. I have always wanted a carpet-bag looking bag, which this one has that feel. Also it incorporates a couple of knitting techniques I haven't tried yet: felting and intarsia. Plus the embroidery work makes it look so much more complex that the pattern really is.

When I first saw the pattern, I did a search for the yarn and bookmarked a place that looked like it had a really good price - and given the large quantity of balls that are needed for this purchase, a good price was essential. I had put this project on hold due to my involvement with Kyoto, but now that that is a closed chapter in my life, I was looking for the next big thing. I did another quick search and found a KAL as well as another online knit shop that put together packages for the project. Needless to say I got very excited. So, when I was on my home computer I decided to check out my old bookmark at for the yarn shop and see how they compaired. It looked like I would save about $10 if I got it though them (based on the regular price of the yarn times the number of balls needed since they didn't have a package price posted on the main page). So, I thought, what the heck and put it in my shopping cart. To my great surprise, not only did you get some sort of bulk discount for buying so much yarn (which brought the total about $30 cheaper), but you got another discount because the order was over a certain amount. All said and done, it looks like I will be able to make this bag for about $40 less than I thought I would! Yippy!!!

The only catch is that the yarn is backordered for 3 weeks. Fortunately, I had read a few of the posts on the KAL, so I was aware that there has been a fairly big backorder problem with the main color yarn due to the overwhelming popularity of the project (and the fact that you need something like 15 balls of it, too). But, looking at the bright side of things, this will give me a chance to wrap up a few of my WIPs (and maybe start a couple new ones too ;-)

3 comments:

The Stitchin' Sheep said...

I really love that satchel, too. My mouth dropped open when I saw all the balls of yarn needed, though. You'll have to bring it next time you visit and fly in on an umbrella. You'd be just like Mary Poppins. The kids would love that!

Mercedes said...

That is such a cool bag. I can't wait to see the completed project. I'm jealous of your ability. You have been doing a great job. Did I tell you how much I loved your Kyoto top. It's beautiful. Keep up the nice knitting.

Nasus said...

Sooo cute!!