Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Erin you're up

The decision has been made and it's Erin.

I was flipping through the Rowan Ribbon Twist at the Knit Cafe many moons ago and fell in love with this sweater. It's not super fancy or tricky or difficult, but I liked how it was tailored and textured at the same time.



So, I picked up the book. I never had any intensions of making it out of Ribbon Twist yarn, though. I figured at the right time, I would find a suitable substitution. Little did I know that it would turn out to be Rowan Big Wool. I made some gauge swatches Sunday night and cast on last night. The Wild Berry Big Wool is showing off the pattern stitch really nicely.

The funny thing is that the pattern says that the majority of the sweater is in Moss stitch. I got out my Vogue Knitting book and checked out what Moss stitch was. But the more I looked at the sweater pictures in the pattern book, the more the sweater looked like Seed stitch to me. I figured it must be the lighting, etc. The thing is, the pattern actually describes Seed stitch, not Moss stitch, which is like knitting seed stitch on one side and just knit stitch on the other. So, maybe in the UK, Seed is Moss? Either way it's coming out great and obviously with 7 stitches per 4 inches, it goes very fast. I hope to have decent progress pics soon.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Sounds fun! I vaguely remember some discussions on the knitlist about the differences between moss and seed stitch, but am not remembering any details...

knitzalot said...

In every Rowan or Debbie Bliss pattern that I've made that has involved moss stitch, the instructions are the same as for what we call seed stitch here. Cute sweater! Can't wait to see it.

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

Great sweater. I second knitzalot. Moss stitch is simply a chunky seed stitch. You stack knits and purls for two rows for moss instead of simply lining them up as in a tic tac toe board. Hope that makes sense!?