Wednesday, January 25, 2006

What's up sock?

I've been recently inspired to finish up these darn socks. Well, really sock at this point, but I'm determined to finish the pair. I figure if I do another one right away, the process will get a little more natural and hopefully make more sense to me. I had to get some help and then ask for some more help, and then finally had to surender all thought. I kept trying to understand what I was doing and I have found that when working some knitting techniques for the first time, it is better not to think. Just do what you are told to do. Once I "knew" that it was supposed to work out, I just did it. I didn't argue or pretend to get it. And you know what? I ended up with a heel flap and a heel! Here is a really bad picture of where I am right now:

And here's a picture of my cute little heel:

I know there are mistakes - I have 2 rows too many because at some point - maybe from the start? - I started knitting in the round inside out! Bet you didn't even know you could do that! I didn't catch on because I was working my ankle in a 2X2 rib and I would only pick it up now and then, so it always seemed like I was jumping into the middle of something. I realized what I did when I started on my Baby Bobbi Bear and was knitting in the round properly. Then I realized it would have an effect when I got to the flap and my row started on the wrong side. Oh well, there is nothing like a mistake to make you learn. I plan to make the right sock right, even if they end up a little different. These are my first, gosh darn it and I like 'em.

6 comments:

Chris said...

It looks great, especially for a first sock! I knit my first pair out of bulky, so I could all the required mistakes out of the way quickly. :)

Mouse said...

I also just finished my first sock (just one..) and then heard that the Fuzzy Feet slipper pattern from Knitty is a gigantic pair (worsted weight on size 10.5's) of socks - so I cast on for a pair of them. It really helped me to see what I was doing and they go so fast that its nearly instant gratification. My first FF sock was wonky (felting hides all mistakes).. but the second was nearly perfect - I even kitchner stitched the toe! Hope that helps!

Nonnahs said...

Well, this is inspiration for me to get back to Sock myself. I got so distracted before Christmas and then with my SOG Sweater, that I've been neglecting poor Sock. Thanks for inspiring me to get back on track with that.

Julia said...

Yay! Congrats!

knitzalot said...

Could you send your email address again to thepurlygate@gmail.com? Thanks!

Nasus said...

Cute!!