Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Why We Love Sarah

Since my tank progress in the last few days is so minuscule and not quite blog-worthy, I thought I would dedicate a short, random Wednesday post to Sarah McLachlan, since she is a perennial team favorite here at A Little Loopy. I mean, really- who wants to see a few inches of ribbing, when you can watch a cool video instead?

I recently watched the video for Sarah's single "World on Fire" on the Oprah show, of all places, where she performed the song live, with the video playing the background. (This is a prime example why randomly DVR-ing Oprah is never really a bad idea.) I was so moved, I thought I would share about it, just in case you haven't seen it yet.

Sarah (and director Sophie Muller) made the video for $15 (the cost of the tape). She spent $150,000 (the standard production cost of making a music video) - which would have been spent on the crew, location fees, lighting, makeup, etc.- to (among other things) house, feed, and educate people around the world.

From the Media That Matters Film Festival website:

Multi-platinum Nettwerk recording artist Sarah McLachlan was determined to make a statement with the new video for her chart-topping single World On Fire. It was McLachlan's desire to assist those in need that led her to arrange for the video's production costs to go to charities around the globe. Award-winning video director Sophie Muller and her production crew donated their time and skill to create this video with the labor costs benefiting those in need worldwide. Muller captured a stark, simple performance by McLachlan that is interspersed with scenes displaying the standard cost for video production (inclusive of camera crews, electricians, and location fees, etc.) comparing those costs with the price of food, medical supplies and education for over one million people. Muller skillfully edits images provided by charities and other sources from locations including Afghanistan, India, Nairobi, South Africa, Southeast Asia and others illustrating the existence of those who live without everyday necessities. Those expenses that are customary for a video production were sent to a list of 11 charities with total funds equaling $150,000. The only production expense was $15, the cost of a Sony miniDV tape.

"When Sophie Muller first approached me with her concept, I thought it was poignant and brilliant," said McLachlan. "The song is about trying not to feel paralyzed when we see all that is wrong with the world, and remembering that even the smallest gesture can make a difference — corny but true. I wanted a video that wasn't about me and wasn't preachy, but one that would help shine a light on the tragedy and turmoil in the world and also show the beauty and strength of the human spirit. Sophie and everyone else who touched this video worked tirelessly and for free to make it happen. This was a labor of love for all the right reasons and I'm proud to be a part of it."

You may see how the money was spent here.

You may watch the video here.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've got to take a look at that video! I like her music as well. How wonderful of her to donate the money.

Anonymous said...

Inspiration and sincere faith in humanity are things that come too few and too far in between. I love that good people are doing good things in this world and that my good friends tell me about them.

Mouse said...

I absolutely love Sarah McLachlan - but I don't watch tv enough to see videos.. thanks for sharing. The video is awesome as is, of course what she did with the $150,000 production costs.. more proof that Sarah just rocks.

The Stitchin' Sheep said...

Yes, it could be partially caused by my pregnancy hormones, but watching that video really got me crying for the wonderful act that it was to give that money to people who really need it. Thanks for sharing that. I'm pretty disconnected from stuff like that over here in France.