Tuesday, May 23, 2006

One Sock Doesn't Make a Pair

I have one sock of a pair to show off. And I am proud to show them off, even if they aren't perfect. This is the Carbon color way from Socks That Rock and I swear it was a complete accident that they totally match my living room rug. The didn't pool any where accept in this really cool Nike swoosh (now do I have to make that little trademark symbol here?) of yellow at the base of my ankle. I like it so I left it in. But you can be sure there will be no such swoosh in the second sock of the pair.

There is also an issue of size. Since I got preoccupied about making socks that come out too big, these came out a little small. Actually, they fit just fine, but the ribbing ends up very open looking. After playing around a bit with gauge, I think that I am about a medium foot (according to the Cat Bordhi book) if I use size 2 Addi Turbos with Socks that Rock. For this sock I CO a number of stitches in between the child's medium and women's medium after reading someplace that a women's medium is about a size 9. That's not exactly a medium foot by any of the women's feet I know, but then my size 8 feet look like Sasquatch feet next to Nonnahs' itty bitty feet (I swear they are the cutest things ever!).

I also made a bit of a mess of my toe, but it's closed and no one is going to see the toe anyway. I've already got sock 2 on the needles and I am making progress down the ankle. I figure if this is all I let myself work on at the office during the day, I can never get second sock syndrome, right? I am still marveling at the perfect pairing that is the Addi Turbo and the Socks That Rock combination. This is a match made in heaven if I have ever seen one. Each one complents the other to perfection.

In a non-sock related news, I took the Continental Knitting class at the Grove last Sunday. It really ended up being a Combination Knitting class, which is just fine by me as I "discovered" that method on accident while trying to purl correctly continental-like. I see great potential, but I hate the idea of the slow transition that it would be to transition all my work to Combination. Also, there is a fundamental logic that goes along with Continental Knitting that I may not be able to trust myself to keep up with at all times. How often have I made the gauge mistake this year alone? And now I have to remember to twist and untwist and swap around paired decreases? I know it would be a transition I will be happy I made, but right now I find it very daunting. I also met another San Diego blogger in person, CrissyPo.

Finally, a post wouldn't be complete without a cute Jenny picture. She loves to run at the camera, so it is hard to get her still long enough to capture the cuteness that is Jenny. However, I figured something out (yes, just one thing), that in the car I have a captive audience. This picture makes me smile.

7 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Jenny! Very cute picture indeed.

If you're worried about keeping the twisting/untwisting straight, check out Norwegian purling (video at knittinghelp.com). The sock looks great!! Isn't it interesting the colors that we're drawn to over and over (re: the living room rug and sock yarn)?

Anonymous said...

Hi there--it was good to meet you! Happy dog pix always make me smile :) (I like the pattern/color combo on your socks!)

Emma said...

You know what's funny? My mom knitted a sweater about 25 years ago and hasnt knitted anything since. She's all of a sudden decided she wants to knit the Cozy from knitty. I've been helping refresh her knitting, and I discovered she knits Continental! I wish she had taught me to knit; I'd love to learn that method. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the transition! I tried and got frustrated because I was sooo slow. I like being a fast knitter! *L*
I love your STR socks! The colors are fantastic. I can't stop smiling at jenny's photo! She is soo cute : )

Jennifer said...

What a sweet doggie face. I just want to kiss that nose!

Peevish said...

Hi Jenny! SO cute!!

Mmm... Addis and STR....

*drool*

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny - you are almost as cute as me.........

love, Bella, professional dachshund