Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Could we BE any more loopy?

Yes. Why? Because this weekend I finally tried out the Magic Loop. Thanks to Knitzalot who showed me how, I am now loop, loop, looping my way through one of my secret knits.

This particular method had not really interested me all that much. I know people raved about it, but I figured, it's just another way to make circles. I was fine with dpns and I liked using 2 circulars. But, after seeing how it actually worked and realizing that it is essentially like using connected dpns, I wanted to give it a go. I think I am a convert. I can knit smoother joins than dpns, but its not as fiddly as 2 circulars.

I'm sure in reality I will end up using each method for different things, but I have a feeling the magic loop will quickly become the method I grab for first. In fact, I had ordered a couple extra longer cords from KnitPicks to go with my Options needles and I have been holding off starting my second Deep V swatch so that I can work it using the magic loop. But, if they don't show up in the mail tomorrow, I will have to move forward without it. After all, as B says, I am a Good Student, and I wouldn't want to come to class without all my homework done ;-)

I also wanted to share an updated picture of my current socks in progress. These have officially been dubbed my Happy Socks. I just can't get enough of them and when I tried the toe on for the first time today at lunch, I didn't want to take it off...

...even though it was just a toe. So far the fit is AMAZING and so cozy. I can't wait to get one done! I don't think there will be any problem turning these into Knee Highs (with a little elastic at the top to help keep them up).

Oh and thanks for the suggestions for fighting my motion sickness. I plan to give them a try, but with the magic loop, the knitting may be even easier than I thought! Now, if I could just trim the month's worth of knitting I have planned down to a realistic amount for a week, I will be good to go!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yay for the magic loop! Glad to hear you like the technique. It does make for smoother joins and I think is a bit faster than DPNs. Your sock is looking great!

christine said...

Now, she who is a little loopy, learns to actually use a loop - cool!

margene said...

I've been thinking about trying that method of sock knitting. It would be good for travel as there would be no needle loss.

Nonnahs said...

There is no limit to our loopiness. You're gonna have to demo this for me. :)

Mouse said...

I want to learn how to knit magic loop for socks as well because I have a terrible time getting rid of the ladders that come with knitting on dpns. Your sock looks excellent~

melissa said...

good for you for learning a new technique! I still have yet to try it... not to mention that I haven't even knit a pair of socks yet!

Theresa said...

I found I was using the magic loop inadvertently to finish hats and such when I was too lazy to use dpns. Works well that way ;)

Sorry I missed Nonnahs in town, and I'll miss Rebecca's today. On call both days. Ugh.