Since my two current projects are still a little secret right now, I thought I'd take a little time to answer this book meme I saw over at Indigo Mouse:
1. One book that made you laugh: Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I think this goes without saying and his readings are hilarious as well.
2. One book that made you cry: I've cried during lots of books, so I'll just list the most recent, which was the end of The Amber Spyglass, the last in the His Dark Materials trilogy. Regardless of what you thought of The Golden Compass movie, the trilogy is wonderful!
3. One book that you loved as a child: Anne of Green Gables - I wanted to be Anne for the longest time.
4. One book you’ve read more than once: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. This is a rarity since I usually read something once and then return or give away the book. But Bilbo was such a great character! In fact, I have plans to read it again after recently finishing The Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time.
5. One book you loved, but were embarrassed to admit it: Hmmm, I'm usually pretty good at owning up to my guilty pleasures, so I can't think of one at the moment.
6. One book you hated: Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. This remains the only book I didn't finish in school. In fact, I faked a whole book report (and was caught at it too, I might add).
7. One book that scared you: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - This is an amazingly crazy book that chronicles the mental breakdown of 'its author' while he edits a story about a house that is bigger on the inside than the outside...The best part? The book is printed as if you are watching the mental deterioration. If nothing else, flipping through it at the library is entertaining.
8. One book that bored you: I would have to list Kidnapped again. There was a reason I never finished it.
9. One book that made you happy: I'm going to list the His Dark Materials trilogy here again. It was such a complex story line with so many characters but it made me so happy and the character evolution over the course of the three books was very endearing.
10. One book that made you miserable: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Great book, but made me so angry. I was tense the entire time I read it.
11. One book that you weren’t brave enough to read: While I'm not brave enough to watch a lot of movies, I can read anything. In fact, I was quite the horror book junkie when I was in Jr. High and High School. So, I've never not read a book for lack of bravery.
12. One book character you’ve fallen in love with: Gilbert Blithe from Anne of Green Gables.
13. The last book you read: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
14. The next book you hope to read: I'm in the middle of The Constant Gardener by John Le Carre and plan to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami next.
I'd love to see what books have affected you!