Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Nonnahs' Wedding Quilt

I knew I wanted to make Nonnahs a wedding quilt as soon as they decided to get married this September. It just took me a while to pick just the right one. I knew I didn't want it to be too busy and more classic looking, but I also wanted to take advantage of some of the great contemporary fabric out there. I hit pay dirt with the Cutting Corners pattern from Last Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts.

Nonnahs' Wedding Quilt - Detail

It is simple, yet interesting and offers a great combination of straight lines and floral 'roundedness'. For colors I had two main inspirations: Nonnahs' fairly neutral living room and, of course, the Doogles. So I went to the fabric store and shopped the black florals until I found the perfect one: plenty of black but enough cream and taupe to give me something to work with in picking out the border fabrics. The rest came together pretty effortlessly. I was also inspired to add the red binding because there is the tiniest of red in the floral print on the inner cream border fabric...plus red is such a 'love'ly color! I opted for a solid black backing mainly for the practical purpose of living with a (mostly) black dog.

Nonnahs' Wedding Quilt - Top View

Main Print - Michael Miller for Fabrics LLC
Cream Inner Border - 19th Century Backgrounds II for Marcus Brothers
Taupe Outer Border - Floral Damask by P&B Textiles
Binding - Little Red Riding Hood for Red Rooster Fabrics
Backing - Black Solid Kona Cotton from Robert Kaufman Fabrics

I also knew that I wanted to add some kind of inscription to the back. I went back and forth about embroidering their names and/or the date of the wedding. But, nothing seemed 'just right'. I was also mildly afraid that by adding their names and date it would turn more into something that's kept in a closet vs. something that is used...and if its up to me (ha!), I'd rather it be something that's used! Then a lightening bolt stuck! I could add feng shui love birds to the back! Again, this idea went through many incarnations and it didn't materialize into the final product until I was putting everything together (mostly because of trial and error):

Nonnahs' Wedding Quilt - Back Patch

I used the side bird template from the Bird Ornaments pattern, also from Last Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts, on fabric treated with iron-on fusing. I used a 'fancy' stitch from my sewing machine to applique the birds to the backing (also fused). Then I invisibly hand stitched the patch to the quilt back (like when you attached binding). Considering this was completely winged (no pun intended ;), I really love how the patch came out.

And finally, what would a quilt project be without fabric leftovers...which were promptly turned into a set of Quilted Coasters, again from Last Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts.

Nonnahs' Quilted Coasters

I do believe Nonnahs will be an absolutely beautiful bride, don't you think!?! :-)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this quilt! We both do! And most of all, I'm so touched that you would make a quilt for us. I'm getting teary-eyed again just thinking about it. A million thanks!

mary said...

What a beautiful quilt! She's a lucky gal to have that AND a great friend to make it for her.

Anonymous said...

I really like what you decided to do with the patch, how it marks it as a special event/occasion item to the people who know. It really turned out pretty too!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is beautiful! I love the color combination--very neutral but not the least bit boring! Using that bird template for an applique shape is a great idea. I might have to steal your idea when I applique my cousin's quilt (also a bird), since I have that book. Maybe I'll modify it just a touch.

mle said...

That is so gorgeous! what a wonderful wedding gift! and I know about black pet hair...we have two black cats!

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful quilt! And yes, I do believe Nonnahs will be a beautiful bride.

margaux said...

what a beautiful quilt!!! and yes she's going to be such a stunning bride!! :-)

Theresa said...

A gorgeous quilt for a gorgeous bride!

Nasus said...

It's beautiful!!

Lick My Sticks said...

That is stunning!! And yes, she will be an amazingly beautiful bride.

Anonymous said...

Great idea on the patch. Subtle and unique.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt!!! Love the colors & the love birds-

Lolly said...

This is SO beautiful. What an amazing gift! I love the photos, and I think S will be such a beautiful bride :)