Monday, November 14, 2005

Fun with Sound


Audio
Originally uploaded by Disentangled.
Well, there is a first for everything: I spent the majority of my afternoon yesterday recording dialog for my brother’s film project. Basically, it is a series of 8 short films that feature 4 couples. I knew I was going to have to do it when he first mentioned us being involved in his latest project. However, recording the audio had been delayed because my brother and his wife had to move from there place unexpectedly, which meant they lost the sound booth they had made in their closet. The new place doesn’t have the closet space the other place did so they were forced to construct a sound booth in the office. Except for getting a little hot inside, it was actually pretty well done. They ended up constructing it out of foam core with sound dampening foam inside.

I was worried that it would be really bad. I mean, neither B nor I have had any “acting” experience and we are both fairly shy when it comes to any form of public performance. So a couple days before the recording, I started playing head games with myself – it will be fun - it’s only your brother - he’ll walk you through it - no big deal. Except feeling a little stupid when we started, both B and I got the hang of it and it actually came out ok. I actually started to think it was kind of fun.

The only thing is that they don’t really know how much of our audio will actually end up in the film. Everyone involved read for several different parts so they could get a variety of examples of what different people could do with it. I ended up reading a dialog scene and the narrator for one film and the narrator for another film. B read the other half of my dialog and the narrator for a third film. I just hope that at least something that each of us did will end up in the final movie. He is planning on having a screening once it is all done. Now, I can’t wait to see the final product!

No comments: