Monday, December 19, 2005

Can I have a do-over, please?

It's the final week before the big day and my Christmas knitting is so far on track. I am down to picking up the stitches on my first project and given that I have to be in the right mood to deal with that, I started my grandma's neck cozy. I got 1/3 of it done last night, when I realized that the "5" on my needles stood for "mm" not needle size. I had gathered up the needles, yarn and pattern for this project late on Wednesday night and apparently I was already half asleep. Assuming (remember what they say about assuming things?) that I had gathered correctly, I didn't bother to check that I was using the right needles for the project. As I was finishing the 3rd inch of the main portion of the cozy, I started thinking that these needles seemed pretty fat for 5s. I contemplated just continuing but there was no way I would have enough yarn with that much of a needle difference.

What was most painful is that I had already performed the needle gymnastics necessary to create a slip through area for the other end of the cozy by splitting the stitches from one needle to two, knitting up two sides in pattern and then rejoining them. I'm a firm believer in karma and apparently knitting karma is faster acting than normal karma. The big head I was developing at having achieved this feat for the first time was quickly and efficiently smashed down to size no more than 30 minutes later by realizing my needle mistake.

I couldn't believe it! I was going to have to start all over again. B helped me rewind my yarn as I frogged and decided that the momment needed a little theme song to which he promptly began singing the sweater song from Weezer…"If you want to destroy my sweater…"

5 comments:

Mouse said...

I'm convinced that holiday knitting disasters are the worst because we already have so much on our plates and so little time that any error is a nightmare. Good luck on the second time around!

The Stitchin' Sheep said...

Don't fret, though, the second time on the smaller needles, it'll go a lot slower. Oh, wait. That's not very helpful at all, is it?

I liked the theme song idea, though. Maybe adopting yet another one for the reknitting part could spur you on.

Nonnahs said...

All I can say is, I've been there, I feel your pain. I agree about a new theme song for the second go-around. How about an ode set to another song by Weezer..."oohweooh, I'm knittin' Grandma's neck cozy..." :)

knitzalot said...

Oh that sucks about the needles! That has actually happened to me more times than I care to mention.

Chris said...

Indeed, knitting karma is amazingly quick. Alas.